_GOTOBOTTOM
SCAHMS Open Forum
Our general all purpose forum for discussions about the club, events, or meetings.
Acrylic thinners compatibility
mohammedcohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
SCAHMS: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 03:18 PM UTC
I'm new to this forum (first post)....haven't picked up a brush since '86, so I'm a bit rusty...I have 2 Andrea paint kits I purchased in '99....they SEEM to be OK, but I need to know if the Tamiya Acrylic thinner is compatible with Andrea colors....I want the Tamiya colors for painting plate armor and mail....any help would be appreciated...I use artist oils for the majority of my 'work' and am a bit 'hesitant to start using acrylics, but Tamiya has the colors that I'll need...BTW I'm working on mostly busts in 1/9th scale and slightly smaller...at almost 61, my eyes need all the help they can get...TIA

Chris Brosnahan
Port St Lucie, FL
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
SCAHMS: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 04:03 PM UTC
Back then, Andrea paint was actually made by Vallejo, so pretty much anything in the Vallejo line should be compatible.

Tamiya thinner is not friendly with Vallejo and will usually end up giving you a gelled mess, so I would expect no different with the Andrea paint.
mohammedcohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
SCAHMS: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 12:43 PM UTC
Thank you so much!!! I'm damn glad I didn'tf ollow this hunch and use the Tamiya thinner.....I've got access to hypodrermic needles through my Primary at the VA - I take meds that require 'em - I saved one and have been adding 1cc of water to the bottles as well as prying the spout off and stirring with a brass rod followed by five minutes in the paintshaker from Micro-Mark. That shaker was well worth the investment - all of my paints are at LEAST 15 years old, but evidently still in good condition...long's ya keep the lid tight should be no problem.
BTW - anyone know what's up with Verlinden??? I've got a Tamiya F4J in 1/32nd scale does Verlinden make a cockpit interior for that model or if they make one for a different variant, would that variant fit the J model?? I'm not lookin' for accuracy, necessarily, just a buncha detail...Only a Phantom driver or mech would know the difference...Thanx again,

Chris
 _GOTOTOP